Wednesday 13 November 2013

Quince

Every week I pass a Quince tree on the way into the walled garden at college.  After one lesson (with permission) I collected the windfalls as I was intrigued to use some of the fruit.   

I remembered the lines from The Owl and the Pussycat '
They dined on mince, and slices of quince, Which they ate with a runcible spoon.'



Referring to my Diana Henry book I made Quince and Star Anise Jelly and Quince Cheese.    The jelly was easy to make but the cheese took a bit more effort.  To be honest I nearly lost the will to live trying to push the paste through a sieve - maybe Lear wasn't talking nonsense and a runcible spoon was what was required to make the task easier!   However once tasted all the effort was much forgotten.


The quince cheese was eaten with Dan Lepard's Pumpkin and Raisin Sourdough Loaf (which was a perfect combination) and some Somerset Brie and Wensleydale.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home